"...An excellent resource for PA students" - ADVANCE for Physician Assistants

Google Search!

Custom Search

Related News Feed

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

“Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake.” - Wallace Stevens

Today was absolutely beautiful; while I was at work in between bathing patients, my friend Becca (another Pre-PA student) text-ed me and asked me to run around the lake with her (it totals roughly 4 miles). Since I go to the gym every day anyway, I decided this would be my work out, especially with the beauty surrounding us outside today. Unfortunately, we forgot to stretch before we took off down the unevenly paved path. It was our first time running in an odd temperature, and for myself, the first time running in such a high altitude (we had to basically hike to get to the running point). As we were running we began to notice an odd and very painful sensation in our ears, despite the fact that both of us are always working out and our in quite good shape, we began discussing what could possibly cause the pain in our ears. This is a conversation while running that would most likely never happen unless you have some interest in medicine. The ear pain continued to be a topic of conversation throughout the run and the rest of the day, and it dawned on me; this is what our lives as Pre-PA students should be like right now and hopefully in the future as well. We are totally enthralled with medicine and the human body, but not only that how we can utilize our knowledge for the greater good. Not that I didn't know this before, but it was just one of those "ah-ha" moments where the actual situation you're in reminds you of a simple thought. After coming home and doing some research on the ear sensation, I learned that it seems to be a very common problem among runners when it comes to temperature change; though I could not really find any information stating a cause. Becca and I thought that maybe it had something to do with equilibrium/homeostasis, pressure/blood flow, any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment